Embrace the Nordic food trend with this Nordic salad with smoked salmon and dill oil!
This salad was inspired by my excitement over our upcoming trip to Iceland this spring. Have y’all heard of Wow Air? We got tickets from D.C. round trip for only $350! If you live in the northeast, definitely check them out for crazy inexpensive flights to Europe. For their prices, as long as the plane doesn’t crash, I’m good!
Our plan is to spend a week driving around the island in a camper van. Yup, we’re going to be those kids. And since we’re spending a week camping in a van, we’re capping our trip off with one night at a fancy hotel with it’s own private hot spring.
To be honest, I don’t actually know what to expect with Icelandic food. I’ve actually been warned about the food because apparently it’s really expensive and not very good, which makes me sad because Nordic food is so trendy right now. What we’ll probably end up doing is picking stuff up and eating out of the van (it’s got a little kitchenette) for breakfast and lunch then going out for dinner. If you’ve been to Iceland, would love to hear any tips or any restaurants you loved along the ring road!
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1 head leaf lettuce, chopped and washed
- Microgreens or sprouts
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, sliced
- 1 cup chopped jarred pickled beets
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ? cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- First, cook the potatoes. Place in a pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Drain and let potatoes cool to room temperature, then cut into wedges.
- Place eggs in a pot and cover with a couple inches of water. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and cover. Let eggs sit for 10 minutes in the hot water, then carefully remove to a bowl of ice water. When cool, peel the eggs and cut in half.
- Blend all dressing ingredients together in a blender until pureed. Season with salt to taste.
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with microgreens. Top with smoked salmon, pickled beets, radish, cucumbers, potatoes and eggs. Drizzle with dressing and serve.