Sweet peanut butter bars come together in a jiffy, plus they’re gluten free and vegan, so they count as an energy-packed snack, too.
By Robin Runner
I’m always testing out bar recipes for my kids and husband. I feel like I can’t keep enough healthy dairy and gluten free snacks in my house. This is definitely a problem during swim season with a voraciously starving teenager.
This recipe could also be used as a pie – springform pan would be best. Would also be fun drizzled with melted dark chocolate (recipe for a sauce below). It is decadent so a little goes a long way. Plus a great vegan protein source and who doesn’t love more peanut butter in their life?! My husband and kids have loved these as a post dinner treat right from the freezer.
- 1 cup of organic, gluten free rolled oats (I prefer Bob’s Redmill)
- 1 cup of almond flour
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of your favorite peanut butter (I used Justin’s)
- 2 large ripe bananas or 3 regular sized
- ⅓ cup of maple syrup
- ¼ cup of melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Gluten free pretzels
- Chocolate sauce drizzle (1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips melted with a teaspoon of melted coconut oil – whisk and then drizzle over top of the bars).
- Line your 8×8 glass baking dish with parchment paper overlapping the sides for ease of removal. Add the crust ingredients to your food processor and blend until you can pinch the ingredients together between your fingers and it sticks. Dump the crust mixture into your pan and press the mixture evenly throughout the bottom of the pan. You can either use your palms or the backside of a measuring cup. Ensure that the mixture is firmly pressed down.
- Add all of the filling ingredients into your food processor (no need to clean it out from the crust). Blend until smooth and creamy. Spoon that atop of your crust – spreading out with a spatula. I added optional peanuts and mini chocolate chips to the top. I did half with chocolate chips (because my husband is allergic).
- Then cover and freeze until solid. Before serving, remove from the pan and slice into squares. Let the bars thaw for 10 minutes before serving. Freeze for storage.