An almost naked, and deliciously simple chicken appetizer.
By Jerri Green
That’s naked. Not necked. For those of you who aren’t southern, let me explain. Naked means bare, usually without your clothes. Necked means you are without your clothes and doing somethin’ you are supposed to be doin’. And while these chicken drummies aren’t necked, my carnivore husband claims they are dangerously good, even though they are nearly naked. This recipe is from a past issue of Bon Appetit.
- 2 tblsp of lemon juice - I just used ½ lemon.
- 2 tblsp of oregano - I used a bunch from my herb garden.
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tblsp of olive oil
- 1½ tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of freshly grated lemon peel
- 8 chicken drumstick or one package of drummettes
- To make these marvelous chicken tidbits, simple place the drummies in a large plastic bag with the rest of the ingredients and toss them till they are all well coated.
- Then let them marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Then place them on the grill (on medium-high heat) until golden brown on all sides.
- This may take about 30 minutes.
- Be sure to turn them frequently.
- Serve them hot off the grill.
Now, I can’t personally speak for how dreamy these chicken drummies are, but my carnivore hubby said they were “really good”… twice (in his language this means outstanding). So, it may not seem like they have anything on them, but these nearly naked chicken bites have quite the impact. Maybe they are necked after all.