PARTNER POST: May 26 is National Pinot Grigio Day. We’re celebrating with Cavit Wines by sharing refreshing spring and summer recipes that pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio.
Delicious and gorgeous-looking pinwheels are a perfect appetizer for summer parties, filled with easy homemade pesto and paired with white wine.
These Sun-Dried Tomato and Spinach Pesto Pinwheels are my all-time favorite appetizer and you can find me noshing on them every now and then (read finding excuse to make them). I cannot believe that I’ve not shared this recipe before, so when I was sent Pinot Grigio from Cavit Wines, I knew exactly what I’m going to pair and share with you. By now and my previous wine posts, you must have understand that I love wine and we enjoy both red and white occasionally with friends.
These Cavit Wines are all the way from the Trentino region of northern Italy and they were first introduced in the US in 1977. For all my white wine lovers, the ‘Pinot Grigio’ has a floral note along with hints of fresh peaches and apples. Also, I’m also so excited that we are celebrating the FIRST ever National Pinot Grigio day on May 26, 2017 which happens to be this Friday, so I had the perfect excuse to call some of my wine loving friends over for a small get-together…..so you can imagine an evening with friends, wine and our favorite pinwheels (don’t worry we do have cheese and other small bites too
Now, let’s talk about my favorite pinwheels which are stuffed with these 2 minutes spinach pesto (if you like, you can add store bought pesto too). I’ll post an elaborate post on how to make pesto later but for now or our quick turn around, we are making the pesto using fresh spinach, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, and cheese. Just pulse everything in a food processor for a minute or two and you have yourself a scrumptious pesto that can be slathered on bread, crackers or just about anything. I’m also adding these sun-dried tomatoes for a hint of tanginess and we are doing two kinds of cheeses here – cream-cheese and asiago.
- 1 Can Frozen Pizza Dough - thawed but cold
- 4 Tbsp Cream-Cheese - room temperature
- 4 Tbsp Asiago Cheese - grated
- 3 Sun-Dried Tomatoes - chopped into tiny pieces
- ½ Tsp Italian Seasoning - optional
- ¼ Cup Fresh Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Pine Nuts
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- In a food processor, add all the spinach pesto ingredient and blend to form a smooth paste (kind of granular texture).
- Preheat oven at 200F
- Roll the thawed pizza dough into a rectangular shape on a flat-clean surface. (till it's an inch thick).
- Spread the cream-cheese on top.
- Then spread the spinach pesto evenly and sprinkle chopped sun-dried tomato.
- Finally sprinkle grated asiago cheese all over.
- Roll the dough to form a long log kind of shape.
- Cut into thin or thick pieces as per choice.
- Place them on a baking tray layered with foil/parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes (till it cooks and gets a golden color).
- Turn off the oven, remove and place the baking tray outside for pinwheels to cool down.
- Transfer to serving tray and enjoy.