PARTNER POST: May 26 is National Pinot Grigio Day. We’re celebrating with Cavit Wines by sharing refreshing spring and summer recipes that pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio.
Looking for the perfect summer wine pairing? These delicious triple berry brie chicken sliders are so tasty and quick to make. The sweetness from the brie and the triple berry jam pair perfectly with Pinot Grigio.
For this recipe in particular, I knew I wanted to do something a little different. Cavit Wines sent me two bottles of their newest Pinot Grigio in order to create a recipe pairing with it AND to celebrate the first ever National Pinot Grigio Day on 5/26. I didn’t want to do a charcuterie board or something similar for this pairing.
I’m no sommelier, or wine master, but I can generally tell you the scale of wines from sweetest to drier. Pinot Grigio lands in the middle, or slightly to the dry side of the scale. For me, that means I love to pair it with something sweet to balance the whole experience.
My first thought was to use brie. If you haven’t used brie often, you may just think of baked brie wrapped in a puff pastry when you think of using brie. While this is definitely a favorite way to make it, I wanted to do something just a little different.
This recipe was all about balance for me. For every sweeter element, I needed a savory element to balance it out. The two sweeter elements for these chicken sliders were the brie and triple berry jam. The jam we are obsessed with right now (and used in this bread too) is sweetened with honey instead of sugar, and the difference in flavor is just amazing.
The apple slice was a last minute choice because I wanted to have something a bit crunchy. The nice thing about it is that with the toasted bread and apple, there was a perfect crunchy balance to the recipe. You may look at the recipe and think there are a lot of flavors, but the way they all compliment each other (without overshadowing each other) is surprising and magical.
- 1 chicken breast, cut into four pieces and pounded thin to ½ in thickness
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ wheel of brie
- 4 thin slices of fuji apple
- 4 teaspoons of any jam
- 4 slider rolls, cut in half
- A handful of spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (for toasting bread)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut ¼ of brie wheel. Remove wax and cut into four pieces. Set aside.
- Trim chicken breast and then cut into four relatively equal sized pieces.
- Generously sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of chicken pieces.
- Cook the chicken to an internal temperature of 165° on a frying pan (I recommend this grill pan).
- Toast slider rolls in oven for 4-5 minutes until rolls are browned.
- Place one piece of brie cheese on each piece of chicken and let melt for 1-2 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Place brie topped chicken onto bottom of slider roll. Then add a couple piece of spinach, the apple slice and one teaspoon of jam per slider.
- Add top of slider roll, pour a glass of Pinot Grigio and enjoy!