With melted sharp cheddar, the perfectly meaty texture, and a delicious Fancy Sauce, these pan-fried Portobello Mushroom Burgers are the vegetarian recipe that’ll have you craving mushrooms for dinner.
I have a history of featuring spotlight ingredients that I actually don’t like in the hopes that by cooking with them nonstop for a few weeks I’ll grow to like them (see tomatoes, cucumber, watermelon). And mushrooms? They were on the top of the list of “Foods I Don’t Eat”. Because I truly thought I didn’t like mushrooms. But unlike tomatoes and melon, which took some practice to find the right cooking methods/ingredient pairings that would make me appreciate them, mushrooms took no time to love.
And how, might you wonder, did this newfound appreciation (love? fervor?) for mushrooms come to be? These. Portobello. Burgers. I’m not saying this to talk up these burgers, guys. I’m saying this because it’s the fact! The cold hard fact. I woke up thinking I didn’t like mushrooms, decided to give portobello mushroom burgers a go, and went to sleep dreaming of all the ways I could continue cooking up mushrooms. So like…let’s make some burgers shall we?
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- ¼ cup olive oil 60 mL
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp each oregano, smoked paprika, salt, pepper
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 or 4 toasted burger buns depending on if you want double cheeseburgers
- Toppings: sliced tomatoes, lettuce, sliced red onions
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Prep Mushrooms: Clean portobellos gently with a damp paper towel. Remove stems (and gills, if you don't like the texture). In a small bowl, combine olive oil, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, and seasonings. Brush liberally onto the tops and bottoms of the mushrooms.
- Cook Mushroom Burgers: Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes on each side, or until slightly softened, brushing with remaining marinade to add more flavor. Alternatively, cook on the grill for 5 minutes per side until grill lines appear. Add cheese in the last minute of cooking.
- Assemble & Serve: Combine all “Fancy Sauce” ingredients in a small bowl. Serve mushroom burgers on toasted buns with fancy sauce, tomatoes, lettuce, and onion.