Meen peera or meen pattichathu is an everyday fish curry cooked with fresh coconut scrapings, fish tamarind and lightly drizzled with fresh coconut oil.
By Nisa Homey
- Anchovies: 500 gms, cleaned (use whole, heads removed).
- Green Chillies: 8-14, chopped (depending on your taste increase or decrease).
- Garlic: 5-6 cloves, slit.
- Ginger: 1 inch, slice into small pieces.
- Shallots: A handful, sliced OR you can use 1 medium sized onion
- Kudampuli/Fish tamarind:
- Freshly scraped coconut: About 1 -1½ cup.
- Water: ½ cup
- Coconut oil: 1 tbsp.
- Salt: About 1 tsp, increase or decrease depending on your taste.
- 2 springs of curry leaves
- Chop or slice shallots/onions and ginger into thins and put into an earthen pan (manchatti) preferably or into any of your favorite pan
- Top it with sliced green chillies, kudampuli and curry leaves
- Add the fish, salt, turmeric, fresh coconut scrapings and half cup of water
- Mix everything together with your hands or a spoon
- Put the pan on the stove, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Lastly, drizzle a tbsp of oil and more curry leaves if you want. Turn stove off but keep covered until ready to serve