Based on Mediterranean cuisine, this nutritional soup will warm you to the bones in the cold months. Add pasta or rice for an even heartier bowl.
By Veronica Lavenia
Photo by G. Giustolisi
A hot soup to be enjoyed in autumn and winter, with all the taste and nutritional properties that are the basis of the Mediterranean Diet. A dish that becomes even richer and more complete if accompanied by rice or pasta.
- 300 g (10½ oz) chickpeas
- Salt to taste
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- A stalk of celery
- 100 g (3½ oz-½ cup) brown rice
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Soak the chickpeas overnight with a pinch of baking soda.
- Drain the chickpeas and pour into a pan of salted water, let them cook for about an hour with all vegetables, previously washed and cut.
- When the chickpeas get cooked, add the rice (or short pasta) and cook it.
- Season with extra virgin olive oil and serve.