Priya Sreeram with an exciting medley of lentils in a spicy avatar.
By Priya Sreeram
Lentils and pulses are to a vegetarian what meat is to a non-vegetarian. They are protein-packed and filling and can be cooked in many different ways. The variety of spices in the pantry bring a whole lot of pep and zing to the final dishes. Take for instance this spicy dal – a medley of lentils in a yogurt based gravy with an array of spices does wonder to the taste-buds. The recipe from a very old & tattered magazine got a lot of appreciation from my folks.
Served with rice and rotis (Indian Flat Bread) the dish was rocking !
- Toor Dal (Pidgeon Peas) - 50 grams (approx)
- Bengal Gram (Split Yellow Chickpeas) - 50 grams (approx)
- Moong Dal (Split Yellow Mung Beans) - 50 grams (approx)
- Masoor Dal (Pink lentils) - 50 grams (approx)
- Onion - 2 medium
- Tomatoes - 2 medium
- Garlic - 4 pods
- Ginger - a small piece
- Whole Spices - ½ tsp (each of black pepper corn, cloves,cinnamon stick, cardamom,cumin seeds )
- Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - ½ tsp
- Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Curd/Yogurt - 100 grams (approx)
- Garam Masala Powder - 1 tbsp (store bought)
- Clarified Butter / oil - 1 tbsp
- Water - as required
- Coriander Leaves - a few sprigs (finely chopped) - for garnish
- Wash the lentils well and cook them with required water. Either pressure cook it for 3 whistles and then let it simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes or cook it in a large pan until tender.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add clarified butter/oil and as it warms up add the whole spices. Let it sizzle for a a minute or two and then tip in the chopped onions ginger & garlic. Let it cook till onions turn golden
- Add the chopped tomatoes as well as the spices (except garam masala) and season it with salt. Simmer till the tomatoes becomes soft.
- In the meanwhile , whisk the curd/yogurt along with the garam masala powder and add it to the pan. Cook for a few minutes.
- Finally add the cooked lentils in to the pan,combine well and let it simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.At any point add little water if the mix becomes too thick.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.