Almost like a parfait, this smoothie combines the drink with a chia pudding for a balanced and filling snack.
Most warm mornings, splitting a protein packed smoothie as part of breakfast (paired with something a little more substantial) is a ritual the husband and I have. We split a berry smoothie or a green smoothie and then share some eggs or an avocado toast. It’s a nice way to have a balanced breakfast. Then I realized, there’s a way to totally amp up the single glass smoothie: layer it with chia pudding.
You guys know my boundless chia pudding obsession. First it was basic chia pudding then it moved to a blend with kumquat marmalade…and now this: a layered smoothie and chia pudding parfait. The creamy chia pudding is the most fantastic mix in.
- Mixed frozen berries (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry)
- Skim milk or milk alternative
- Frozen red grapes
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- 1 Cup 0% Greek Yogurt, plain
- 2 T Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ Cup Chia Seeds
- Combine in a blender and puree until smooth. Adjust amounts for consistency. You want the smoothie to be thick so the layers stay formed in the glass. Too thin and it will mix together with the chia.
- Whisk milk, yogurt, almond extract and maple syrup together in a bowl. Pour in chia and whisk. Let sit for 30 minutes. Whisk again and place in the fridge overnight...although honestly you can get away with maybe a 4 hour fridge time before eating!
- Layer chia pudding with smoothie. Garnish with berries.