Soft chocolate cake is layered with rich Nutella cheesecake and a whipped chocolate frosting. This is a lavish dessert that cannot be unseen or ignored.
There is an outrageous amount of chocolate going on in this recipe! How do you feel about that?
The cake is just a pretty basic, but really good and moist, dark chocolate cake recipe that you stuff with chocolate chips. Then the center layer is this extremely creamy nutella cheesecake layer. In between each layer you put a thin amount of the whipped nutella frosting and then you slather the whole cake with the rest. Then for decoration I dusted the top with cocoa powder, added homemade chocolate curls (super easy by the way), and then finished it off with a bunch of lovely pirouette cookies.
I kind of feel like I cheated with the easy pirouette cookies, but aren’t they gorgeous?
Start baking! There is a lot of chocolate coming your way!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2½ cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ½ cup strong brewed black coffee
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 ounces German chocolate, melted
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ¾ cup chocolate hazelnut spread (Nutella)
- ¼ sour cream
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Click the link above for the recipe
- cocoa powder for dusting top of cake
- chocolate curls and shavings
- multi-flavored pirouette cookies (I used about 80)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and grease 3, 9 or 10 inch round cake pans with oil and flour them well. In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together. Beat in eggs, cream, yogurt, and coffee then add salt, soda, and vanilla and mix until smooth. Stir in cocoa powder and all purpose flour a little at a time until combined, then fold in melted chocolate. Divide batter into 2 of the pans as evenly as possible. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the batter evenly and swirl them in slightly with a knife.
- Bake for 25 - 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely then loosen cake edges with a knife and invert onto large plates. Wrap the cakes in plastic wrap and place in fridge to chill for at least 1 hour.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F (160 C). Beat cream cheese until completely smooth, making sure there are no lumps. Slowly add in sugar while mixing and beat until creamed. Add eggs, salt, nutella, sour cream and, cocoa powder; stir until combined and creamy. Pour the batter into your third prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes until the center doesn't (or just barely) jiggle when pan is nudged. Remove and cool completely. Loosen edges and invert onto a plate carefully. Wrap in plastic and place in fridge for at least an hour.
- Pour cream into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat until it forms stiff peaks. Add the nutella and butter and beat until combined, then slowly stir in remaining ingredients and beat until frosting is light and fluffy. You can add more powdered sugar as needed for frosting to be a thick enough consistency.
- To assemble, trim cakes until level, then spread frosting on one of the cakes and place the cheesecake layer on next. Cover cheesecake layer gently with another thin coat of frosting and place the second cake layer on top. Frost the top and all the sides with desired amount of remaining frosting until smooth (you might have some extra frosting). If desired, dust the top with cocoa powder and line the sides with pitouette cookies. Also if desired, top with a heaping pile of chocolate curls, chocolate shavings, and cut pirouette cookies.