This sweet and tangy chutney can be used as a condiment to enhance the flavor of a dish or as a dip for anything from Samosas to banana chips.
By Nandita Nataraj
- Dates- 15-20
- Tamarind- approximately 100gms
- Cumin powder- 1tsp
- Black salt- 1tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Ginger powder- ½tsp
- Stone the dates.Remove any seeds and clean the tamarind thoroughly and keep aside.
- Combine the dates and tamarind in a pan and add sufficient water and cook the mixture for 15-20min on a med heat till it comes to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 6-8min more.
- Take off the heat and allow the mixture to cool completely.
- Blend the cooled mixture till smooth and add the Jaggery, red chilli powder, ginger powder, salt, black salt and mix well and cook the mixture on low heat for 2-3 min.
- Cool again and store in air tight containers and refrigerate. Use as required in the next few weeks. They are bound to stay fresh for a few weeks refrigerated and for a few months if frozen.