Try this simple Italian-style potato recipe with swiss chard, chili pepper flakes, and a tasty garlic dressing that doesn’t require ANY mayonaisse for once!
By Patricia Conte
Ready-made potato salads have a bad wrap. Many of those store-bought potato salads are in a tub swimming in mayonaisse that is often too mustardy or Italian-style potato saladquestionably yellow. Instead, try this Italian-style potato salad recipe that doesn’t call for ANY mayo, yet it’s still hearty with all the flavor.
- 4 large yellow potatoes
- 1 small bunch of Swiss chard
- ½cup roughly chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1tablespoon vinegar
- ⅓cup light olive oil
- 1½teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut potatoes (skin on) into 1½- to 2-inch chunks. Add to boiling water and cook until tender but still firm. Drain well.
- Tear Swiss chard (including stem) into large pieces. Place in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes. Pour into a colander to drain.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, Swiss chard and onion.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic, vinegar, oil and red pepper flakes. Pour over potato mixture and gently toss. Add salt and toss again. Refrigerate until chilled.