Looking for a filling dinner that doesn’t take too long to make? Look no further. Dig into this Instant Pot Meatloaf complete with mashed potatoes.
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes are comfort food of the highest order, so when I started seeing recipes for meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot I knew that this was something that I was going to have to try. That was a good idea. It’s one of the easiest meals that you could possibly get on the table and SO delicious.
I decided to jazz things up a little bit and do a cheeseburger meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot. BACON cheeseburger meatloaf. It’s not hard – just a little cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon in the center, and a sweet and tangy brown sugar, ketchup, and mustard sauce on top. Plus, brown butter mashed potatoes.
Now, the meatloaf comes out looking a little gray because the Instant Pot doesn’t have the same browning effects that the oven has. You can do what I do and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes, but you don’t have to…you could just warm the sauce and spread it over the top. It’s all about the aesthetic that you’re looking for and how big of a hurry you’re in.
I’ll tell you this: once you make meatloaf and mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, you may never make it any other way.
Want more Instant Pot recipes? Click here.
- 1 slice bread
- ½ cup milk
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into chunks (you can peel if desired)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2-3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ - ¾ cup heavy cream
- Tear the bread into large pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the milk over the bread and set aside.
- Place the potatoes into the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Add the chicken broth and one teaspoon of salt. Place the steamer rack on top of the potatoes with the handles up.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef with the egg, the remaining teaspoon of salt, the black pepper, the tablespoon of ketchup, and the bread (wring out the excess milk). With your hands, mix until combined (don't squeeze or compact the mixture).
- Fold a large rectangle of aluminum foil in half to make a square. Place half of the meat mixture onto the foil and shape it into a disc about an inch thick. Place the cheese and bacon in the center and top with the remaining meat mixture. Press the edges of the top and bottom halves of the meat mixture together to seal.
- Use the aluminum foil as a sling to place the meatloaf onto the steamer rack. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the steam release valve to sealing. Select Manual and set the time for 25 minutes.
- While the food is cooking, stir together the remaining ketchup, the mustard, and the brown sugar in a small bowl.
- When the cook time is finished, press the cancel button to turn the Instant Pot off. Quick release the steam. Remove the aluminum foil sling from the Instant Pot. Heat the broiler to high. Place the meatloaf on a broiler pan or sheet pan and place under the broiler until beginning to brown. Spoon the ketchup and mustard mixture over the top of the meatloaf (I only used about ⅓ of the mixture) and place back under the broiler for 2-3 minutes to lightly caramelize.
- Meanwhile, make the mashed potatoes: drain the potatoes and leave them in the strainer. Turn the Instant Pot to "sauté" and add the butter. Stir the butter frequently and cook until just beginning to brown. Add the cream and allow to warm. Add the potatoes to the Instant Pot and mash using a potato masher. Add more cream if needed to get your preferred consistency. Add more salt to taste if needed.
- Serve the meatloaf and mashed potatoes with the extra sauce on the side for dipping.