Stir-fried cabbage with fennel uses smoky cumin, earthy coriander, ginger, and garam masala to create a flavorful side dish that can quickly be made for a gathering.
By Soni Sinha
Stir fried veggies make for a great side dish and with the holidays nearing, it’s not such a bad idea to add some to your repertoire.I love Indian spiced Cabbage and decided to give it a little twist by adding some sweet fennel. The sweet liquorice taste and the aroma is just amazing. In this recipe the Cabbage and fennel combo works wonderfully and you can taste the sweet and earthy all in one. My dish is also super easy since it’s an Indian stir fry. The ingredients keep going into the pan one after another and the whole process takes about 30 minutes.
The spices consist of smoky cumin, earthy coriander, a little bit of garam masala along with some ginger. The dish brings together all these flavors and the leftovers can be turned into tasty sandwich fillings or even a savory puff pastry filling!
- Cabbage-1 head thinly sliced
- Fennel-1 bulb thinly sliced
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- 1 large onion-sliced
- 1 inch ginger crushed
- Ground Cumin-1 tsp
- Ground Coriander-2 tsp
- Red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Garam masala-1 tsp
- Green chili-2 (optional)
- Tomato paste--1-2 tsp
- Salt-to taste
- Oil-3 tbsp
- In a skillet or wok heat the oil and add the cumin seeds until they crackle.
- Add the onion and saute for a about 2 mins.
- Add the ginger and continue to cook.
- Add the spices followed by the tomato paste and cook until all aromatic about 2 minutes.Add a tbsp of water if its sticks to your pan.
- Continue to cook for about 5-6 minutes until the paste doesn't stick to the pan and oil starts to separate from the sides.
- Add the cabbage and fennel along with salt.Mix well.
- Cover and continue to cook stirring every few mins until evenly cooked.