An Athens favorite, Hotel Grande Bretagne serves up an unusual cocktail like a take on the Old Fashioned with reposado tequila.
By Michelle M. Winner
To me and many other visitors to Athens, Greece, the grandest hotel is the Hotel Grande Bretagne and it is always chic to have a Grande Bretagne’s Tequila Old Fashioned cocktail at the bar just off the lobby, Alexander’s Bar. The bar is just through the luxurious hotel lobby. The sumptuous decor envelopes you as you sip on one of the hand-crafted cocktails. A sense of old world comfort and hospitality can be found here making this bar and hotel in Athens a favorite of well-to-do travelers and those in the know. Stay in one of the large, comfortable, damask, silk and marble-covered rooms or suites and awaken to dress for breakfast served at the Grande Bretange’s Rooftop Garden restaurant. Dine on the the terrace for the most incredible views of the Acropolis.
The Grande Bretagne’s clientele is international and so the offerings at the hotel must appeal to a broad range of tastes. In Alexander’s Bar they are adept at creating an array of cocktails. Here they share an unusual twist on the popular Old Fashioned made with reposado.
- 60 ml (2 fl ounces) aged tequila (reposado)
- 20 ml (0.67 fl ounces) agave syrup
- 5-6 dashes aromatic bitters
- 1 maraschino cherry
- Peel of 1 lime
- Add the agave and bitters in an old fashioned glass.
- Then add 2-3 ice cubes and mix with a bar spoon until the mixture is uniform.
- Then add the tequila and ice.
- Stir continuously (built up method).
- Garnish with lime peel and maraschino cherry.