Skip takeout and learn to make your own Chinese chow mein with shredded cabbage and spicy fermented bean sauce.
By Elaine Luo
In this recipe I am using instant noodles for a quick chow mein, which only need 10 minutes from preparation to table. So this is a perfect dish for a hot summer or busy working day.
Secondly, the highlighted part is the Lao Gan Ma black bean chili sauce. This is one of my favorite store bought chili sauce. It matches noodles, rice and even steamed buns perfectly. You can replace with other chili sauce or if you really do not want a spicy taste, skip this and slightly add more soy sauce.
Thirdly, you can customize the chow mein by adding some other vegetables like red onion, carrot, bell pepper and etc.
- 200g (7 ounces) instant noodles
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lao Gan Ma black bean chili sauce
- small pinch of salt if needed
- Read the instructions of the noodle package; cook the noodles in boiling water for 1 minute less than the time given by the instructions. Drain well.
- Heat cooking oil in wok or skillet over medium heat, fry minced garlic until aroma and then shredded cabbage until soft.
- Stir in cooked noodles and other seasonings. Mix well and serve hot!