SPONSORED POST: From Dijon Originale mustard to Cornichons, Maille has a rich heritage starting in 1747 that honors tradition. Check out these easy recipes that pack great flavor, thanks to Maille.
Holiday festivities are here, which for me means two things: cocktails and hors d’oeuvres! One of my favorite things about this time of year is creating the drinks and small bites that my family enjoys when we all get together.
We spend the holidays traveling between my parents’ home and my in-laws, so rather than putting together main dishes, I’m usually in charge of the appetizers and apéritifs.
Interestingly, these drink and hors d’oeuvres pairings that I make for special occasions are one of the main things that first spurred my interest in cocktail crafting. It’s something I really enjoy doing and while I do try to start planning long in advance, with our schedule that’s not always possible. So these days I’m focusing on creating very tasty, gourmet bites that are also quick and easy (I do have a toddler after all!).
This year I wanted to make something that would pair well with a spritz style cocktail, with sweet, tart, and savory flavors. I immediately thought of cranberries, maybe some smoked cheese, and a quality mustard. I have been obsessed with Maille mustards since my husband first brought home their Old Style grainy mustard a few years ago. It’s seriously the only brand of mustard we buy now, and I went with the fabulously smooth Maille Dijon Originale for these apple, caramelized onion and smoked gouda canapés, baked and topped with a savory and sweet-tart cranberry and mustard sauce.
There’s something so satisfying about the combination of spicy, creamy mustard with sweet and sour cranberries. The complementary, contrasting flavors excite the taste buds, making you want to taste it over and over again. This recipe makes 20, so you might want to make a double batch if you’re having friends over. :) I wanted to add another level of flavor to the tasting experience by pairing this sweet and savory bite with a bubbly, bittersweet cocktail. Campari is the ultimate bittersweet liqueur, and when combined with fresh cranberry syrup and prosecco, nothing could feel more festive. These sparkling, bright red cocktails and toasty hors d’oeuvres studded with bright red cranberries are sure to help get your next holiday party started, or even just warm up a Friday night at home.
- 5 slices of white sandwich bread
- ¾ cup peeled, finely diced apple
- ½ cup finely diced yellow or sweet onion
- ½ cup grated smoked gouda
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp Maille Dijon Originale Mustard
- 4 tbsp cranberry syrup
- Reserved cranberries
- Preheat to 400° F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Finely dice onion and apple.
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet, add diced onion, and saute on low until onions are caramelized, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan, combine the Cranberry Syrup ingredients and simmer just until the fruit begins to breakdown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain through a mesh strainer. Do not press on solids. Reserving solids to top canapés. Leftover syrup can be kept in a clean glass jar in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Using a cookie cutter or canapé cutter, cut 4 rounds from each slice of bread, 20 total.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix caramelized onion, apple, gouda, mayonnaise, mustard, sour cream, and a pinch of salt.
- Top each bread round with about 2 tsp of mixture.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the tops and bottoms are both lightly browned.
- While canapés are baking, whisk together Cranberry & Mustard Sauce ingredients.
- Allow canapés to cool for a few minutes, then drizzle sauce on top of each and stud with a cranberry reserved from the syrup.
- 1 oz Campari
- .50 oz cranberry syrup*
- 4 oz prosecco
- 1 oz club soda
- Fill a small wine glass with ice.
- Pour Campari and cranberry syrup over ice.
- Top with prosecco and soda, stir gently
- Garnish with fresh cranberries and edible flowers, if desired.