Packed with vegetables and lean bison meat, this warm bowl of hearty chili will keep you fueled on a busy fall day. Make a double batch, you will want the leftovers.
By Kim Lee
This hearty bison chili is so easy to make and so mouthwatering, your tastebuds will dance! This nutritious meal choice is filling, full of flavor and perfect for those picky “meat and potato” people that are easing into healthier eating.
I chose to use lean ground bison for this chili, which is a great lean flavorful meat option. If you’ve never tried bison it is so worth a try. We use it for tacos, casseroles and other recipes that call for ground meat. Ground bison is a healthy alternative to ground beef because it’s naturally lower in fat, higher in protein and has a rich, delectable flavor.
If you are looking for a quicker chili recipe, make my favorite 30 Minute Chili recipe.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. cooked lean ground bison, alternatively lean ground turkey or chicken will work
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can low sodium diced tomatoes
- 1.5 cups low sodium broth (chicken, beef or veggie)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt + more to taste
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (optional- adds a little kick of spice)
- Optional garnish- fresh chopped cilantro, grated cheese, avocado
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add cooked bison (or other ground meat), beans, tomatoes (with liquid), broth, chili powder, salt and red pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; gently boil, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Serve with preferred garnish. I enjoy cilantro and avocado!