Healthy Apple, Date and Walnut Muffins
These fiber-rich whole wheat muffins, made with apples, dates, chickpeas and walnuts are a delicious and healthy way to start the day.
Author: Mansi Desai
Recipe Type: Baking
- 2 cups chopped apples
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or nonfat milk
- ? cup vegetable or light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped pitted dates, divided
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with vegetable cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together both the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- Place the chopped apples, chickpeas, applesauce, milk, oil, ginger, vanilla, and ½ cup of the dates in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add this puree to dry ingredients and mix gently until all the flour has been incorporated. If the mixture is too dry, add a small amount of additional milk. Batter should be thick but wet. Fold in remaining ½ cup dates and chopped walnuts.
- Divide mixture among prepared muffin cups. Top each with a walnut half if you like.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean,about 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.