PARTNER POST: Explore new and surprising ways to incorporate potatoes into your favorite recipes.
Dig into these savory, potato cakes filled with ham and provolone cheese and fried to perfection.
Here is a super scrumptious and quick recipe that I’m sure will become one of your favorite. It only requires readily available, inexpensive and simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen right now. It’s a tasty and comforting dish, perfect for all those times you feel like indulging in a delicious savory meal…Or for all those times that you have leftover mashed potatoes.
It makes a fun appetizer or a week-night dinner that your kids (and not only!) will absolutely love.
What’s not to love about a perfectly fried, crispy potato patty, filled with a flavorful slice of ham, and melty, stretchy and gooey provolone cheese?!?
And you heard me correctly, it’s not bread on the outside, but nutritious and healthy, yellow skin golden potatoes, mashed and mixed with a bit of flour, and rolled into soft and delicious patties.
With their buttery and subtly sweet flavor, golden potatoes are the perfect ingredient for this recipe. And because of their vitamins and minerals content, any potatoes are actually a great and wholesome addition to your dinner.
Potatoes are naturally fat-free, sodium-free, cholesterol-free, and gluten-free (of course!).And they are a great source of potassium, iron, vitamin C and vitamin B6.
Did you know that some of the starch in potatoes (resistant starch) has the same great qualities and health benefits as fibers? Resistant starch does not have calories because it’s not absorbed during digestion. It provides protection against some type of cancer, it improves glucose tolerance, it lowers cholesterol, and it reduces fat storage. Pretty amazing!
Click the banner below for more delicious potato recipes.
For another unique way to use potatoes, check out these truffles and find the recipe here.
- 12 oz (340 gr) of mashed potatoes*
- 1 cup (250 gr) of bread flour, plus a couple of tablespoons for the table
- 1 packet (1/4 oz, 7gr) of fast acting instant yeast
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- 12 slices of ham (about 4.25 oz, 120gr)
- 12 small, round thick slices of provolone cheese (about 6.25 oz, 180 gr)
- oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes with ⅔ cup of bread flour and the instant yeast. Mix to combine.
- Add the egg and a little bit of salt to taste. Mix to combine again.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix. The dough needs to be soft and only slightly sticky. Add more flour if needed.
- Move the dough to a clean, floured counter. Knead quickly and roll out to about ¼ inch (0.6 cm) thickness.
- With a round cookie cutter (or the top of a cup) cut out as many discs as you can. Mine are 2.5 inch (6.35 cm) in diameter each. Make sure to re-roll the scraps. You should get about 24 discs.
- Wrap each thick slice of cheese with one slice of ham.
- Place between two potato dough discs and seal well the edges.
- Warm up the oil for frying, test with a wooden spoon or a little piece of dough to see if the oil is ready for frying.The oil will be at the right temperature when little bubbles forms around the dough and it gradually changes color to golden. Fry the potato patties a few at a time, turning them around, until deep golden on both sides.
- Drain well from the oil, and serve hot.