PARTNER POST: Dive into the 120 days of summer with Santa Rita wines that pair perfectly with the foods of the season, straight off the grill.
These grilled scallops are a flavorful mouthful you will want to make all summer long. Serve with a cool tomato mango salsa and a tomatillo guacamole for an amazing meal right off the grill.
This week we make these Cumin Grilled Scallops with Tomato Mango Salsa & Tomatillo Guacamole. Say that five times fast!
It’s a mouthful. A wildly delicious, insanely yummy mouthful. Tender scallops are sprinkled with flavorful Badia Complete Seasoning which is filled with vibrant flavors like cumin, garlic, herbs and more, then seared on the grill. Those beauties sit atop a bed of fluffy jasmine rice topped with sweet tomato mango salsa and a creamy tomatillo guacamole.
This easy summer dinner recipe is a flavor powerhouse! I paired this deliciously spiced, grilled scallop recipe with Santa Rita wines, one of Chile’s most admired and innovative wine estates. Superb quality and craftsmanship are the hallmarks of Santa Rita. The “120” series of wines was named after the historic event in which 120 soldiers took refuge in Santa Rita’s cellars in 1814 during Chile’s war for independence.
These wines are fermented in stainless steel tanks at controlled temperatures and bottled early to preserve each variety’s fruitiness and natural aromas. The 120 wines are young, fresh and fruity, elegant and perfectly balanced with good acidity. Their exceptional value makes them an outstanding choice for accompanying everyday meals like these Cumin Grilled Scallops with Tomato Mango Salsa & Tomatillo Guacamole.
The Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc has nuances of citrus fruit and white peach, supported by a zesty acidity and smooth texture that lingers on the palate which was the perfect pairing for this meal. My husband and I both enjoyed it! More of a red wine lover?
Santa Rita 120 Hero’s Salute Red Blend will be right up your alley. This blend of Cabernet Franc, Carmenere and Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep, dark ruby-red color that features blueberry and plum aromas along with spices and vanilla, coffee and tobacco notes from the barrel-aging. The palate has a sweet evolution, with good volume, depth, and a fruity finish that leaves a refreshing mouthfeel.
So be sure to fire up the grill and make these Cumin Grilled Scallops with Tomato Mango Salsa & Tomatillo Guacamole and be sure to pick up a bottle of Santa Rita wine to enjoy as you dine out on the deck in the setting warm summer sun.
For more grilling inspiration with Santa Rita, check out this grilled Chilean chicken and pebre sauce.
- 12 jumbo scallops
- 1 tablespoon Badia Complete Seasoning
- 4 cups prepared Jasmine rice
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ¼ cup diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- salt, to taste
- 6 tomatillos, coarsely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Badia Complete Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- In a medium bowl, gently toss together mangoes, tomatoes, red onion, cilantro, lime juice and lime zest. Season lightly with salt to taste. Set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together tomatillos, avocado, cilantro, Badia Complete Seasoning, lime juice, red onion and garlic until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat grill. Place scallops on skewers. Blot scallops dry and season both sides with Badia Complete Seasoning right before placing on grill. Grill 3 minutes then slide a thin spatula under scallops and turn over. Grill another 2-3 minutes just until cooked through.
- Remove from grill. Remove scallops from skewers. Serve scallops immediately with jasmine rice tomato mango salsa and tomatillo guacamole.