PARTNER POST: Dive into the 120 days of summer with Santa Rita wines that pair perfectly with the foods of the season, straight off the grill.
Grilling is quick and easy with this recipe for spiced sea scallops and summer vegetables paired with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc.
It’s no secret that summer is my favorite time of year. In the depths of July when people complain about “the heat, the heat, oh-my-gosh, the heat, stop being so hot..” I resist the complaints because I love everything summer embodies. Including the heat. And grilling. Summer heat and grilling go hand in hand. There is something about smelling and tasting grilled food that sends me to a happy summery place.
We lit up the grill the other night to make these Grilled Sea Scallops and Vegetables. This dinner turned out Uh. Mazing. It was ridiculously easy to make, everything cooked quickly and the flavors were incredible. It was one of those meals where I kept taking bites and finding different pops of flavor. I could not recommend it more highly!
One of my little secrets for this meal was using Badia Complete Seasoning to spruce up the scallops. This stuff is like gold. Not only is it great on seafood and other types of fish, it goes great with any type of meat or poultry, salads, stews, sauces and even vegetables.
My second little secret was pouring myself a cold glass of Santa Rita 120 Sauvignon Blanc with this meal. This wine is a fresh, fruity wine dominated by tropical and citric fruit such as grapefruit, lime and lemon peel complemented by white peach notes and distinctive variety herbs increasing complexity and lifting fruity sensations, a very interesting aftertaste amid smooth fruit and fresh acidity with a lingering and persistent finish. It paired perfectly with the scallops!
For more grilling inspiration with Santa Rita, check out this grilled Chilean chicken and pebre sauce.
- 1cup pearled barley (uncooked)
- 12-15 thick asparagus tips (approx. 3 inches each in length and ½-inch thick)
- 8-oz. container whole fresh mushrooms
- 8-oz. container cherry tomatoes
- ½ white onion, cut into thick slices
- Olive oil, for brusing
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Badia Complete Seasoning
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Prepare barley according to package directions (should have approx. 3 cups when cooked).
- Light a grill over medium heat. Skewer the asparagus tips, mushrooms, tomatoes and onion chunks on bbq skewers. Lightly brush with olive oil. Place on grill and cook 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned around edges. Remove veggies from skewers and place into a medium bowl. Cover to keep warm.
- In a medium bowl, combine sea scallops, olive oil, garlic, Badia Complete Seasoning and lemon juice. Gently stir until scallops are well coated. Place heavy duty aluminum foil on the grill and fold up the edges. Transfer scallops to foil in a single layer and pour remaining liquid over top. Sprinkle with extra Badia seasoning. Cook scallops for 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through (be careful not to over-cook!). Remove from grill.
- Layer each plate as follows: 3 large spoonfuls cooked barley, ¼ of the grilled veggies, 5-6 grilled scallops and 2-3 avocado slices. Drizzle liquid from aluminum foil over the tops. Serve immediately!
- Read more at http://www.pipandebby.com/ad-free/2016/6/15/grilled-scallops-and-vegetables#9zqTFc8iDKFPWB1u.99