Grilled sprouts come together with spiced salami and pine nuts for an earthy dish made outside the kitchen. Drizzle with balsamic and serve with mozzarella for a complete summer salad.
By Tania Cusack
Make this warm salad on the grill and take the cooking outside.
- 500gm Brussel Sprouts halved if large or left whole if small
- 6 slices of hot salami ( or mild if you prefer)
- 6 slices of eye bacon
- ½ bunch chives
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped parsley
- 50gm toasted pinenuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons good balsamic
- 1-2 tablespoons extra olive oil
- 100gm smoked mozzarella ( or feta if none available)
- Prepare all of the other ingredients before you start. The chopped parsley, chopped chives, toasted pinenuts, ½'d salami and bacon pieces, grated mozzarella .
- Take a large bowl and add the trimmed sprouts, salt pepper and olive oil and toss to coat.
- Heat a flat BBQ plate till very hot, then turn down to medium. Lay all of the salami and bacon pieces on the grill. Turn after 1 minute and brown up the other side before taking off the grill and putting on a plate.
- Put the sprouts on the the grill and turn every couple of minutes, cooking and charring on all sides, put the lid down. The temperature will rise to about 200C between each time you move them around approximately 10 minutes. Test the sprouts with the tip of a knife and when the knife pierces easily they should be done.
- Scoop all of the sprouts back into the bowl and add the salami, bacon, parsley, chives & nuts. Mix together.
- Dress very simply with the balsamic and extra olive oil. Add a grind of fresh pepper and taste it for salt, add more if necessary . Put onto a plate and sprinkle with the smoked grated mozzarella.