Add a flavor bomb to every bite with this spiced green tomato relish.
By Nandita Nataraj
A good condiment can turn a dull meal into a good one and good meal into a fabulous one. I really enjoy making condiments and I am always making one thing or the other. So this time it was this green tomato Pacahdi.
This green tomato relish is slightly different from the other tomato relishes that I have tasted. Here, the green tomatoes are roughly chopped and slow cooked in it’s own juices. It is then ground along with toasted sesame seeds and cumin seeds. These seeds, apart from lending volume and body to the relish, also imparts a nutty flavor. It is then seasoned with mustard seeds and black gram that lends a crunchy bite to the chutney.
This relish is a handy thing to have around the house. It can be clubbed with almost anything. It goes great with idlies, dosas, rotis, rice and/or as a dipping sauce. This delicious pachadi is easy to prepare, has a long shelf life and simply sensational. This recipe is surely a keeper.
- Sesame seeds- 3tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tbsp
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds- a pinch
- Green chili- 2, finely chopped
- Green tomatoes- 6, medium sized, Finely chopped
- Tamarind pulp- 1tbsp* (see notes)
- Turmeric powder- ¼tsp
- Jaggery or brown sugar- 1-1/2tsp
- Salt to taste
- For the seasoning:
- Peanut oil or any other oil- 2tbsp
- Mustard seeds- ½tspn
- Ural dal- ½tspn
- Curry leaves- 1 sprig
- Red chili flakes- ½tsp
- Asafetida- A large pinch
- Dry roast the sesame seeds and the cumin seeds separately and set aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add the fenugreek seeds, once they turn brown add the green chili and chopped tomatoes and fry for a min.
- Add turmeric, salt and jaggery and tamarind pulp and cook covered for 10-12min or till the water is completely evaporated. Take off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Blend the roasted sesame seeds and the cumin seeds to a fine powder in a blender jar. Add the cooked tomato mixture to the powdered sesame seed mixture and blend to a fine paste.
- Transfer the contents from the blender jar to a clean bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they sputter add the urad dal and fry till they turn brown.
- Add the curry leaves, red chili flakes and fry till the curry leaves turn crisp. Stir in the asafetida and take off the heat.
- Add the seasoning mixture to the prepared pachadi serve immediately.
- The tamarind pulp can be skipped if the tomatoes you are using, are sour.
- The red chili flakes can be substituted with red chili.