For your next home cooked Mexican meal, don’t forget fajitas.
By Brady Evans
I think this recipe will never let me forget fajitas exist. It burned its flavors deep into my psyche. I was drawn to this recipe because it used cube steak. I categorize cube steak with brown gravy, white rice, and lima beans. It is a cut of meat that is always on sale at the grocery store but I’m never able to pick it up because I simply don’t know what to do with it.
Clearly, that won’t be a problem anymore.
- ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice (60 mL)
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (60 mL)
- Generous pinch of salt
- Black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil (60 mL)
- 1 lb beef (cube, flank or skirt steak) (450 g)
- 1 large white or yellow onion
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 small tortillas
- In tupperware container, add the grapefruit and lime juices, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Close tightly and squeeze the ingredients together.
- Add beef, close, and refrigerate for 4 hours, up to overnight.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Slice onion in half, and then slice into thin wedges. Place in a large bowl.
- Remove stems and seeds from the bell pepper and cut into ¼-inch strips.
- Add to the onions and toss with olive oil until well-coated.
- Spread onions and peppers in a single layer on a grill pan (or use a large piece of foil placed directly onto the grates of your grill) and cook until they soften and are browned (10 minutes).
- Put the steak on the grill and sear 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Cut into thin slices, against the grain, and serve on tortillas with preferred toppings.