In this granola recipe, the crunch comes from seeds, rather than nuts, and coconut chips.
By Carly DeFilippo
- 5 cups gluten-free oats*
- 5 tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup coconut chips
- ¾ cup golden raisins/craisins
- 2 egg whites
- 1-2 pinches of high quality sea salt
- ½ tsp “Reims” spice blend (in lieu of this, you can pass on spice, or add fall/winter baking spices, like cinnamon or “pumpkin pie spice”)
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Add coconut oil, and mix.
- Beat egg whites, and add to mixture. Dry ingredients should be lightly coated by oil/egg whites, to the point of just beginning to stick together. You can add more oil/egg white if necessary.
- Shape granola into a “donut” on large greased baking pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes on 350 degrees, stirring occasionally to ensure even cooking. (The “donut” ensures that you don’t end up with an uncooked middle.)