Vegan chocolate banana bars are made with ground gluten-free oats. With added protein and no refined sugars, you will feel great about this indulgent snack.
By Robin Runner
These changed over perfectly from a regular recipe to using gluten free oats for the flour (ground down) and Enjoy Life vegan chocolate chips. This recipe also has no added refined sugars. This is a snack you can totally feel great about. Plus I added some extra protein to these for building or repairing muscle after a workout.
- 2⅓ cups of gluten free oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill rolled gluten free oats)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 3-4 bananas (very ripe is best)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract or paste
- ¼ cup of unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup of maple syrup, agave or honey (for vegetarian option)
- ¼ cup of hemp hearts (optional for extra protein)
- ¼-1/2 cup of vegan chocolate chips (I prefer Enjoy Life) – use as many as you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray your 8×8 or 9×9 glass pan with baking spray with flour and set aside.
- Into your Vitamix or food processor, add your oats and blend down until a fine powder
- Then add the flour to a bowl along with your cinnamon, soda, powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In your stand mixer, blend your bananas, vanilla, apple sauce and maple syrup.
- Then add your flour mixture and hemp hearts (optional)
- Blend to combine. If using chocolate chips, add them by hand.
- Then pour into your prepared pan and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and slice. Cover in an airtight container until serving.