It’s hard to think of salads in the cooler months that use seasonal produce and are still refreshing. This Italian-inspired side made with fennel, sesame seeds, pistachios and Parmigiano Reggiano is a great way to get your winter vegetables.
photo by G. Giustolisi from THE VEGETARIAN ITALIAN KITCHEN
- 1 fennel bulb
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2ounces toasted sesame seeds
- 2ounces shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
- Sicilian pistachios, chopped, to taste
- Wash the fennel, remove the hard part of the core and cut into 4 pieces lengthwise (keeping the feet on the core). Slice, rinse and dry using a centrifuge salad spinner or just blot with a clean cloth.
- In a bowl, pour the oil, salt and pepper and toasted sesame seeds, whisk with a fork and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the fennel and stir.
- Add the grated Parmigiano flakes and pistachios and serve.