PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Lamb, slow cooked with balsamic vinegar, honey, and rosemary, that is served between brioche burger buns and topped with Castello’s melty havarti and caramelized onions for a fancy burger.
By Katie Oberwager
Lately “balance”, when it comes to food, has looked like a big ‘ole block of cheese. I’ve been eating lots of cheese in the form of parmesan, cheddar, you name it! And now, I finally had the chance to add havarti cheese to my list! I had never tried havarti before a few weeks ago and I’m officially in love. Havarti is a soft and creamy, slightly tangy, cheese that melts well. I cooked it into some quesadillas and considered sharing a havarti macaroni and cheese dish with you but wanted to be a little more adventurous.
You might be thinking that a burger isn’t all that special, but this one is! I slow cooked lamb shoulder chops that I received in a recent CSA share to juicy and flavorful perfection. The lamb was slow cooked with balsamic vinegar, honey, and rosemary which really brought out the flavor of the meat. I topped brioche burger buns with melty havarti and caramelized onions for a fancy shmancy burger that is over the top.
If you’ve never tried havarti I highly recommend you hop to it and get creative in the kitchen!
- 2 lbs. lamb shoulder chops (bone-in, large pieces of fat cut off)
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried rosemary
- generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 sweet onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 8 oz. package of Castello Havarti Herbs & Spices
- 6 brioche hamburger buns
- Add lamb through salt and pepper to a slow cooker and cook on high for four hours. Once finished, add flour and simmer on low with the lid off for about 5 minutes or until the juices thicken.
- Add olive oil and onion to a pan and sauté on low for about 30 minutes, until onions are brown and caramelized. Add brown sugar and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Toast hamburger bun and add two slices of havarti cheese to top and bottom of the bun. Top with two spoonfuls of the lamb and top with a spoonful of caramelized onions.
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.