This version of traditional meatballs, made with eggplant rather than meat, is a typical Calabrian appetizer and is quite easy to prepare.
By Jovina Coughlin
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 1 ¾ oz Pecorino cheese, grated
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato Sauce, optional
- Peel the eggplants, cut them in half, put them into a pot and cover with water.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook for about 45 minutes; drain and cool.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the chopped garlic, parsley, basil, grated cheese and salt.
- Squeeze out the eggplants and mash them with the bread crumb mixture and the whole egg, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Shape this mixture into elongated, fairly flat ovals and fry them in vegetable oil. Drain.
- These may be served hot or cold and, if desired, covered with a spicy tomato sauce.