Omelettes are a universal egg item that is enjoyed in a variety of ways around the world. This Indian-style omelette is thick, flat and filled with vegetables and spices.
By Swathi Iyer
Omelettes are part of every cuisine; the French makes their own version and so do Greeks, Italians, Japanese, and Iranians. I grew up eating the Indian version of the omelette which has little spices, but is full of veggies and eggs. Do you know there are street vendors who sell only omelette to make a living? We love to have omelettes at any time of the day, and not only as breakfast dish, but also as brunch or side accompany to lunch or dinner. To making this Indian omelette I used mainly egg whites and 2 whole eggs along with veggies and spices like chili powder, turmeric, green chili, and pepper.
As my 2 year old is happy egg eater, he loves to eat scrambled eggs and omelette; he is ardent fan of anything with eggs. Whereas my 5 year old daughter is cookie and cupcake lover who loves to eat cookie batter as well as cupcake batter, and is fond of licking the remains in the bowl while I am baking a cookie or cupcakes. I always afraid of her eating raw eggs because of salmonella fear. Now I am happy that I found the pasteurized Safest Choice Eggs.
Since this Indian omelette is very versatile, you can add any veggies; I used onion, green onion, tomato, green chili and spices.
- 6 Safest Choice Eggs (I used 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs for this recipe)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tomato chopped (remove the seeds)
- 4 green onions chopped finely ( use only green part)
- 1 green chili
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 teaspoon olive oil
- In a bowl add 4 egg whites and 2 whole egg, chili powder, ground pepper, turmeric powder and salt and lightly beat together.
- To this add chopped veggies and mix once again.
- In a skillet add olive oil and when it starts to heat add egg mixture to it.
- Cook until you can able to flip about 3 minutes and then flip the other side and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plate you can enjoy as such or with some fresh avocado.