Spelt biscotti with a hint of lemon, honey, and spiced with cinnamon for a perfect pair with tea.
By Maya Moscovich
Be adventurous and use any nut or dried fruit you choose. Just keep in mind that Spelt flour is more crumbly than all purpose flour due to its lower gluten, so when you slice the biscotti, use a bread knife and make sure you don’t slice too thin.
- ¼ Cup Honey
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg + 1 Egg Yolk
- ½ Lemon – Juiced
- Zest from ½ lemon (same lemon you juiced)
- 1 ? Cup Spelt Flour (175gr)
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ½ Cup Walnuts (whole or halved)
- ¼ Cup Whole Almonds (non salted or roasted)
- ¾ Cup Chopped Pitted Dates
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the honey with the vanilla, egg, egg yolk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, walnuts, almonds and dates and mix everything well together until fully combined.
- Empty the bowl into a loaf pan covered with parchment paper.
- Smooth the batter using wet hands. Smooth and straighten the top.
- Place in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and take out of the loaf pan. Let the cake cool completely before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C) and prepare a large flat baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Once cool, Slice the biscotti cake into 1cm thick slices and place the slices on the prepared baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until slices are dry.
- Cool and store in an airtight container.