Sometimes you just need a simple weeknight meal with hearty fall flavors and stick-to-the-ribs ingredients that are roasted together in one pan.
By Kate Davis
I know that a quick and easy weeknight meal is the holy grail this time of year.
Knowing how to roast a chicken is probably the easiest, but most impressive tool a chick can have in her recipetoire (i did coin that, and no, gentlemen, you’re not off the hook…i’m typing to you, too). I also love a good “one pot wonder” for any night. i was inspired by bon appétit to create this, and I must say, they are quite ingenious when it comes to recreating a classic meal. the key to this recipe is to give the whole chicken a quick sear in the very pan you’ll cook it in, to seal in the juices and make the skin crispy and, well, pretty perfect. throw in your favorite veggies to the mix and there you have it, dinner is served and you once again can rule the roost.
- 1 3½–4 lb. chicken
- 6 tbsp. olive oil for bird and veggies
- 2-3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 tbsp. sea salt
- ½ tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 1-2 lemons, quartered
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 pounds baby gold potatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 bunch carrots, sliced
- preheat your oven to 400?, and heat the oil in a skillet to medium-high heat, meanwhile, have your desired veggies cut (here i used carrots and baby gold potatoes because they can take the heat), and prep the chicken by stuffing the thyme, garlic and half of the lemons in the chicken cavity and tying the legs together with some kitchen twine so they don't fall out. (wouldn't that be tragic?)
- rub the chicken with remaining olive oil, and give a good dousing of sea salt and pepper, now you're ready to sear
- sear the chicken on all sides until the skin is starting to turn a golden brown (about 7-10 minutes, rotating to sear all sides)
- return the chicken to the pan and add your veggies nested all around (drizzle any extra olive oil as needed). cook at 400? for 1 hour or until the skin is a crispy golden brown and the inside temperature of the chicken reaches 180?. let rest for about 10 min before serving