Topped with a buttery, cinnamon crumble, this easy rhubarb coffee cake is a stellar brunch treat or dessert.
Cake for breakfast is always a good idea if you ask me. This rhubarb coffee cake is loaded with a buttery cinnamon crumb topping. The greek yogurt keeps it moist with less fat than traditional sour cream, and with rhubarb season finally here, I am using it every chance I get.
The idea came from last weekend’s “what to cook” grapefruit crumb cake by melissa clark. we are big fans of crumb cake. any dessert disguised as breakfast is a ok. only, my kids are not big grapefruit fans and I had rhubarb left over from last week. My version was a hit!
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- ½ cup greek style yogurt (i use 0%)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups ap flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), cubed, softened
- 1 cup diced rhubarb
- heat oven to 350 degrees
- butter a 9 inch springform pan
- to making the crumb topping, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. stir in the melted butter until you have large crumbs. keep the crumb chilled while you prepare the cake batter.
- whisk together the greek yogurt, eggs, and vanilla
- in the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- add the butter and then beat in the greek yogurt mixture until smooth
- pour batter into the prepared pan, top with the diced rhubarb, and then add the crumb topping
- bake cake for 55 - 65 minutes - a pick inserted in the center should come out with just a few crumbs
- cool on a wire rack (cake should be completely cool before removing the sides)