These easy Instant Pot chicken tacos use the freezer and a pressure cooker to be a delicious dump-and-go meal that is perfect for Taco Tuesday.
Freezer meals are the answer to school night chaos for parents and teachers alike. I have to tell you, I am slightly obsessed.
And of all the freezer meals? Instant Pot freezer meals are my favorite. My Instant Pot vegetable beef soup is a great example of an easy dump and go freezer meal, but if you are looking for a great dinner for Taco Tuesday…these Instant Pot chicken tacos fit the bill.
This is the easiest endeavor. All you have to do to is throw the ingredients into a plastic container and freeze it until you are ready to use it. Dump the whole frozen chunk of taco chicken into the Instant Pot, sauté it for a few minutes to get it started, add a little water, cook at high pressure for 20 minutes, quick release, and shred. Voila! Instant Pot chicken tacos straight from the freezer.
My favorite containers for these Instant Pot freezer meals are Rubbermaid Takealongs 50-ounce containers. They are round and the perfect size to fit into the Instant Pot. For dishes with a lot of liquid, like the soup I mentioned earlier, their 15.7 ounce containers are perfect.
I am seriously in love with the concept of Instant Pot freezer meals. Do you guys like freezer meals? Leave a comment below to let me know what kind of freezer meals you prefer (Instant Pot, slow cooker, casseroles, etc.)!
- 1½ - 2 pounds chicken thighs (I trim mine but this step is not absolutely necessary)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning or 1 recipe homemade taco seasoning (included)
- 1½ cups water
- Taco ingredients: flour or corn tortillas or taco shells, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, avocado, salsa
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- If using homemade taco seasoning, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place chicken thighs, taco seasoning, and ¾ cup water in a 50-ounce round freezer safe container. Stir to combine. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To prepare: run warm water around the edges of the container. Dump the chicken into the Instant Pot. Turn on the sauté function and cover with a lid (I use my Instant Pot slow cooker lid, but you can cover it with any 10-inch pot lid). Cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot off. Add the remaining ¾ cup of water. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the vent to sealing. Cook the chicken on high pressure for 20 minutes. When the time is up, turn the Instant Pot off and quick release the pressure.
- Use 2 forks to shred the taco meat. Serve with taco ingredients.