PARTNER POST: Dive into the 120 days of summer with Santa Rita wines that pair perfectly with the foods of the season, straight off the grill.
Start marinating flank steak in red wine and you will be at the grill enjoying the smokey aromas of beef in no time. Pair the dinner with a blackberry chimichurri and the same red wine. Cheers!
Ahh, summer. the season that’s synonymous with things like sun, citrus, vacay, and most of all, grilling. It’s an activity that brings everyone together, because, let’s face it–we all love food. Even if you don’t know how to grill, have no fear. There are many ways to achieve summer superstar status with this no-frills flank steak and (very easy) blackberry chimichurri, that can virtually work on any type of grill or grill pan that can achieve high heat. The best part? It’s marinated in red wine and prep time for this recipe is minimal. make the chimichurri a day ahead, and you’re on your way to being a grilling summer sensation with a no-frills (but oh so pretty) meal.
When choosing wine to use as the base of any marinade (and then to later pair with the meal), always go by the age old rule of thumb: use what you love to drink. Thanks to the helpful folks at Santa Rita wines, this delicious 2012 red blend of cab franc, carmenere and cabernet sauvignon is the perfect pairing, (not only for your wine glass), but for the base of the marinade for the steak and is brought out again with the tangy and refreshing blackberry chimichurri.
For more grilling inspiration with Santa Rita, check out this grilled Chilean chicken and pebre sauce.
- 1½ - 2 lb. flank steak
- 1 cup good red wine (that you'd like to drink!)
- 3 tbsp. worchestershire
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. complete seasoning spices (like the ones used here from badia spices)
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- ½ cup olive oil
- fresh rosemary
- ½ cup mint
- ¼ cup parsley
- ¼ cup oregano
- 1 pint fresh blackberries, halved or quartered
- 1 medium-large shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper, to taste
- for the flank steak, start with the marinade: combine wine, worchestershire, garlic, spices, herbs and lemon zest in a bowl and whisk or stir till combined. pour over flank steak, cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (the wine helps to tenderize and marinate the meat faster, but for a fuller flavor, feel free to marinade for up to 4 hours).
- when ready to grill, prepare your grill for high heat (500 degrees or so) and shake off any excess herbs from the steak. you can leave the wet marinade on as it will help prevent the meat from sticking to the grill while still getting a nice char with the high heat. #bestofbothworlds. grill each side for 3 minutes, then remove and let the steak rest (with butter, obviously) for another 5-6 minutes.
- you can easily make this a day ahead--it only improves the flavor! in a food processor, combine the herbs, garlic and shallot until chopped finely. add the mixture to a bowl with the halved or quartered blackberries and stir in the oil, vinegar and chili flake. best part: taste it. then add salt and pepper to your liking.
- a great, refreshing red blend, like the one used in this recipe from santa rita wines. bonus! celebrate #120daysofsummer with santa rita wines and honest cooking with a bonus recipe in the video below. cheers! #staylush