Thin Slices of Duck Breast with rose confit and Provencale mini-pancakes, makes for a great romantic dinner.
By John Nevado
- 3 Duck Breasts
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 50 grammes (2 oz.) sugar
- 1 tbsp (0.5 oz.) water
- 8 figs, quartered
- 1 tbsp (0.5 oz.) sherry vinegar
- 4 juniper berries, crushed in a mortar. Really smashed.
- 1 ½ tbsp (3/4 oz.) Confit de Roses (Rose petals in sugar jelly). Buy in any well-stocked gourmet hang-out.
- 100 grammes (3.5 oz.) chick pea flour
- 2 ½ (1 cup) deciliter water
- 1 ½ (0.5 oz.) teaspoon salt
- deciliter (1/4 cup) olive oil, extra virgin
- tbsp (0.25 oz.) fresh rosemary, chopped
- tbsp (0.25 oz.) fresh thyme, chopped
- olive oil for frying pan
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 aubergine
- 2 plum tomatoes
- olive oil
- sea salt
- panko flour
- Nevado Roses Organic rose leaves
- Clean the duck breast, keep the fatty side on, dont remove. Fat is good.
- Salt and Pepper on the meaty side. Ad Libitum.
- Fry in hot frying pan, on the fatty side until brown.
- Then turn and fry on the meat side whilst adding a healthy dollop of butter.
- Put the meat on a baking plate.
- Add vinegar, juniper berries, figs and the Confit de Roses.
- Let boil on low heat for aprox 30 minutes.
- Heat a mini-pancake pan (we all have those!) and fry pancakes in olive oil.
- If you do not have a mini-pancake pan, then use a normal frying pan, and pour pancake dough into round cookie-cutters placed directly in the pan.
- Cut the vegetables in slices 1 ½ cms thick.
- Place the slices one on top of the other alternating colours on a baking plate, on oven paper.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and panko flour.
- Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes until lightly brown.
- Remove from oven and let rest in tin foil.
– Slice the meat thinly and serve with rose confit, roast vegetables and pancakes.
– Decorate with fresh rose leaves and herbs.
Enjoy the Romance!