Use the fresh blackberries and blueberries of summer in this whole wheat and almond flour double berry cake.
This recipe is from The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen (New Holland Publishers)
available from September 19 here.
When I was a child, after a whole summer at the beach, my parents used to end the holidays with a week in the mountains where, they said, we girls would breath in the good air that would strengthen us for the winter. In those weeks, I also remember picking blackberries and blueberries and the sweets we prepared with them.
This cake is a classic that I love to make without sugar and refined flour.
- 2 large eggs
- 50 g (2 oz) raw coconut sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Warm organic milk
- Pinch of vanilla "Bourbon" powder
- 50 g (2 oz) almond flour
- 200 g (7 oz) whole wheat flour, sifted
- 15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
- 50 g (2 oz) blackberry
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Beat the egg whites and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the coconut sugar and the egg yolks and whisk until creamy and foamy. Add the pinch of salt, milk, vanilla, almond flour and whole wheat flour sifted with baking powder.
- Stir quickly to form a dough.
- Add the egg whites and stir gently from bottom to top.
- Pour in the blackberries and blueberries (washed and dried), and stir gently.
- Pour the dough into a loaf tin, lined with parchment paper. Bake for 40 minutes.