Uzhunnu vada (Deep Fried Lentil Fritters) is a favorite tea time snack of the Malayalies…. to be a bit more broader…. it is THE most popular deep fried snack of South India.
By Nisa Homey
- Urad dal/Black lentil: 1 cup, soaked in water, drained, and grounded.
- Shallots (3 or 4) or onion: ¼ chopped.
- Green chilly: 1 or 2, minced.
- Crushed pepper: ¼ tsp.
- Curry leaves: Crushed or chopped: 1 sprig.
- Rice flour: 2 tbsp, this makes the vadas crispy (though some prefer baking soda about ¼ tsp).
- Salt to taste.
- Grind the soaked and cleaned dal with 2 tbsp of rice flour, salt, and little water to a smooth paste.
- Add the chopped or minced onion, green chilly, pepper, and curry leaves.
- Mix the batter....and check the salt.
- Heat a pan or kadai with oil. When the oil reaches 360 degree C, spoon in the thick batter (I used a tsp) into the hot oil, simmer the fire to medium or low until it is golden brown and crispy.
- And strain into a paper napkin.
- And serve hot the crunchy vadas with a cuppa of tea.
- Enjoy this tea time snack :)