A deliciously sweet and tangy, creamy lemon curd. Perfect as a spread or used in baking.
By Kimberly Killebrew
- 3 lemons
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 large egg yolks
- ½ cup lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Zest the lemons. Be careful to avoid the white pith as it is very bitter.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until the zest is finely ground up with the sugar.
- In a medium glass mixing bowl, cream the butter and lemon sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. Add the lemon juice and salt and beat until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a medium stainless steel saucepan and cook over low heat until thickened and the temperature has reached 170 F, about 20 minutes. Check the temperature using a candy thermometer.
- Remove from the heat, cool, and refrigerate. It will keep in the fridge for a week and can then be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Makes about 2 cups.