Expert flavor pairings helped create this delicious and original martini.
This Cranberry simple Syrup based drink is really easy to make and tastes phenomenal. To give the cocktail a little extra twist I looked Cranberries up in The Flavor Bible which gave me the idea to enrich the simply syrup with some fresh thymes. What a fantastic combo!
What’s really great about this cocktail is that it can easily be turned into a long drink. Simply fill a tall glass with some ice, take your weapon of choice (Gin, Vodka, or Rum), and use some of your Cranberry Thyme simple Syrup and fill with tonic water. Cheers!
- 170 g (1½ cups) fresh cranberries or frozen (about 6 ounces)
- 250 ml (1 cup) water
- 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
- 5-10 sprigs thyme (optional)
- 1 shot gin, vodka or rum
- 1 shot cranberry simple syrup
- ½ shot fresh lemon juice
- To make your cranberry simple syrup with a thyme twist place cranberries, water, sugar and thyme in a saucepan over medium heat till boiling. Reduce heat to a low simmer for about 15 minutes, till cranberries are falling apart.
- Strain through a strainer into a bowl and discard the solids.
- Combine gin, cranberry simple syrup, lemon juice and ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake well and strain into martini glass.
- Garnish with a few fresh cranberries.
In case you'd rather have a stronger martini only use one squeeze of lemon instead of ½ a shot. I preferred mine with ½ a shot lemon juice.
You can easily turn this cocktail into a long drink. Fill some ice into a tall glass. Add 2 shots of gin, 2 shots of cranberry simple syrup, 1 shot fresh lemon juice and fill up with tonic water. Give it a stir and Cheers!