John Nevado concludes his romantic hors d’oeuvre run with a rosey take on an italian classic.
By John Nevado
This is my third and final post in a ”triptych” of delicious hors d´oeuvres made with roses as the main ingredient. A scrumptious rose pesto made from rose, basil and cheese. The way it should be. With a twist. Use as appetizer served on hard crackers, or serve Alla Italiana with fresh pasta for a summery romance!
- 1 whole pot basil leaves (fresh plants sold in gourmet shops in pots)
- 1 fistful of fresh, crisp, pink organic rose petals (Nevado Roses USDA organic petals!)
- 2 deciliters (1 healthy cup) parmesan, grated
- 1 deciliter (half a cup) pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp (1 oz.) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (0.5 oz.) fresh pressed lemon juice
- freshly ground white pepper
- Pick the leaves off the basil plant, and mix basil and rose petals in a food mixer.
- Grate the parmesan cheese and add with pine nuts and garlic into the mixer
- Pour the olive oil into the mixer as you mix.
- Add lemon juice and pepper to taste