A sweet coconut curry sauce dotted with golden raisins and sprinkled with toasted coconut is the base for this chicken and pumpkin dish.
By Kimberly Killebrew
- 4 cups sugar pumpkin, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 large chicken breast (3/4 to 1 lb), cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut cream (or coconut milk if you can’t find cream)
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup flaked coconut, toasted (see Note)
- Heat the butter in a Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until soft and translucent, about 6-7 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the chicken and cook until no longer pink. Add the curry powder and apricot jam and cook for another minute. Add the flour and stir to combine.
- Slowly add the chicken broth and increase the heat, constantly stirring, until the flour is dissolved. Add the coconut milk and salt and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened. Add the pumpkin and raisins. Return to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the pumpkin is soft but not mushy. Add salt to taste.
- Serve with steamed Basmati rice or naan bread and sprinkled with some toasted shredded coconut.