Moist chocolate cakes are made without eggs, but instead with flavorful bananas that also hide in slices in the center of the cakes.
By Veronica Lavenia
These small egg and dairy free cakes are so moist and satisfy the palate. They are perfect for a snack to be eaten with a glass of cold milk or accompanied by ice cream. Bananas are not only used as an excellent thickener to replace the traditional eggs, but also as a center surprise.
- 75 g (3 oz) dark chocolate 70%
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or 7 tbsp organic cold-pressed sunflower oil)
- 125 g (4½ oz) rice malt
- 50 g (2 oz) organic banana yogurt
- 50 ml (2 fl oz) organic rice milk at room temperature
- pinch of sea salt
- 250 g (9 0z) wholewheat Kamut flour, sifted
- 15 g (½oz) organic baking powder
- 1 tsp raw cocoa powder
- 2 large bananas
- the juice of one lemon
- Preheat oven to 180° C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler and let cool. Mix oil with malt. Add 1 mashed banana, melted chocolate, yogurt and milk. Add the sifted flour with baking powder, cocoa and pinch of sea salt.
- Cut the other bananas into slices and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Pour the dough into cups, add 1 or 2 bananas sliced on each small cake.
- Bake for 20 minutes.