Enjoy warming your hands with a hot bowl of comforting chicken broth that marries all the classic ingredients of a minestrone.
by Nick Sandler
Ali Allen Copyright © 2015
This classic chicken ministrone recipe is great to make in big batches for lunch or a weekday dinner. Just pop it in the microwave and you’ve got comfort in a bowl!
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Magic of Broths © 2016 by Nick Sandler, Kyle Books.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into approx. ½-inch dice
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 5 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 sprigs of thyme, finely chopped
- 1 can (14-ounces) of cannellini beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved parmesan (optional), to serve
- Put all the ingredients, apart from the bean and salt and pepper in a large saucepan. Simmer for 30 minutes until soft and meltingly good.
- Add the beans and season. At this point you can stir it up so that the bean mush incorporates into the broth, giving it more body.
- Serve topped with shaved Parmesan if you wish.