Zucchini adds great moisture and texture to this chocolate-loaded cake with a tang of yogurt. Fold in chocolate chips to create a simple and indulgent dessert.
By Ann Low
I happened to buy 3 pieces zucchini for only three dollars at the market the other day. Don’t know what to do with them, I google searched for a recipe and came across my friend Zerrin of Give Recipe shared this quick bread recipe, Chocolate Yogurt Zucchini Bread. Zucchini doesn’t have a lot of flavour but it gives a nice moist texture and I love that this recipe little oil is used. With the yogurt and chocolate chips added also made this bread taste so delicious.
- 2 large Eggs (70g each)
- ½ cup Vegetable oil (65g)
- 1 cup Sugar (I used ¾ cup - 135g)
- ½ cup Yogurt (100g)
- 1.5 cup Flour (170g)
- ⅓ cup Valrhona cocoa powder (25g)
- 1.5 tsp Baking powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated and lightly squeezed Zucchini (about 200g)
- 1 cup Chocolate chips (100g)
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease 2 small loaf pan (I used one long loaf pan) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar with a hand whisk. Add in oil, yogurt and vanilla extract, mix well.Add in sifted cocoa powder and mix with a spatula.
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder together and sift it into egg wet mixture. Stir until smooth, but don't overdo it.
- Add in grated zucchini and stir just until it is coasted with the batter.
- Mix in ¾ of chocolate chips into batter and fold to just combined. Don't overmix it.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and top with the remaining chocolate chips and bake for about 50 minutes or skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool completely before slicing and serving.