Swirled with sweet chocolate and hazelnuts spread, these lights as a feather meringues may just be the easiest and most delicious cookies to make.
By Samina Patel
These are the one type of cookies that require the least amount of ingredients and efforts. Although this is made up for in the time department since it takes a minimum of 45 – 55 minutes to dehydrate which makes it crisp and crackly on the outside and chewy, almost marshmallow like on the inside.
With meringues, the possibilities are endless. You could go crazy experimenting with flavour combinations or settle for the most classic ones – the choice is yours.
Needless to say, these Nutella, or chocolate-hazelnut, meringues turned out fabulously well. The magical moment when you swirl massive dollops of hazelnut spread across the surface of the stiff, shiny, snow–like meringues is when you know that you’re in for a super delish treat, approximately an hour later.
- 2 egg whites (room temperature)
- ½ tsp salt
- 65 grams (2.29 ounces) caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius. (248 F)
- In a clean metal bowl, add the egg whites and salt and start whisking the egg whites either on stand mixer or with hand mixer at a very low speed.
- When it begins to get frothy, begin adding the caster sugar a tablespoon at a time.
- Once all the sugar is incorporated, increase the speed of the mixer to medium and whisk for about 3-4 minutes.
- Increase the speed to a little less than full and whisk for about 2-3 minutes more. Check if it has achieved stiff peaks by lifting the beater attachment. The peak that forms, must stay the way it is without falling or moving.
- Add the Nutella and swirl it in the meringue with a metal spoon making sure that you do not knock off the air.
- Use metal spoons to plop balls of meringue on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Alternately, you can also pipe the meringues.
- Place them in the oven for about 55 minutes. Once the timer is done, turn off the oven but leave the meringues inside with the oven door slightly ajar. This will help crisp up the meringues.
- Remove from oven after 15 minutes. Eat immediately or keep stored in an airtight container.