Naturally gluten free chocolate biscotti is baked twice and then dipped in a rich chocolate coating for a double chocolate bite.
By Pallavi Gupta
This recipe is pretty easy to put together and chances for it to fail is minimal. The recipe follows the same principal of any biscotti, but I have just replaced the ingredients with the ones that are vegan and do not contain gluten. Its a double chocolate biscotti and you won’t notice a difference in the taste or the texture of the final cookie. You can choose to smear some vegan chocolate on the biscotti after its cooled completely, but even if you don’t – they taste pretty good without the chocolate too.
- 1½ cup potato starch
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ¼ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup almond milk
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup chopped chocolate
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients – Potato starch, rice flour, almond meal, cocoa, sugar and baking powder. Whisk roughly to combine.
- Add the chopped chocolate and mix roughly.
- In a separate bowl mix together almond milk and oil.
- Pour the liquids into the dry mixture and using a rubber spatula bring it all together into a dough.
- Lightly dust the kitchen counter and plop the dough onto it. Using you hands (dusted) shape the dough into a log.
- Place on a baking tray lined with a parchment sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let the log cool completely on a rack.
- Cut the log into ½ inch slice and bake again (on the same baking sheet) for 20 minutes on one side.
- Remove from the oven and flip the biscotti and bake for another 20 minutes on the other side.
- If adding the chocolate – cool the biscotti completely before adding it.
- Melt some vegan chocolate in the microwave. Using a butter knife, smear the melted chocolate on the cooled biscotti – on the top half of one side.
- Store cooled biscotti in an airtight container.