There is something dark and mysterious about this cake, and the coconut blends perfectly to create a symphony of taste.
By Suchitra Vaidyaram
There is something dark and mysterious about this cake and the coconut just blends so well to create a perfect symphony of taste. Remember the ratatouille movie rat and the way they show the flavors just mixing and creating a beautiful medley- well that’s exactly what was happening the moment I took a bite and savored the coconut and chocolate flavors that were oozing out of the cake. Now, making it ain’t gonna be a rocket scientist job- Considering, a novice like me can whip up this cake…Some people can just bake a cake at the spur of a moment. For me, it’s a big deal. I decide on a day (usually sundays), read through the recipe atleast 10 times and shop for the ingredients on saturday. phew…I make it so complicated. but the results have always been good, so I think it is worth the effort. It’s a moist cake and you can’t simply stop eating it- oops, here goes another bite in my mouth!
- 150 grams all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 175 grams butter
- 175 grams caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 50 gram plain chocolate broken in pieces
- 5 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp butter
- 85 grams icing sugar
- about 5-8 tsp desiccated coconut to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius-
- Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa powder together and keep aside.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Fold the flour into this mixture and blend well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased tin.
- Bake in the oven for around 35-40 minutes-
- Once baked leave it to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, place the chocolate, milk and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of simmering water.
- stir until the chocolate melts and blend in the icing sugar and beat till smooth.
- Leave the icing to cool until it's thick to spread.
- Spread the icing on the cake and sprinkle the desiccated coconut on top.